Monday, October 19, 2015

Getting ruby going on Mac - El Captian

These my mental notes for setting up my Mac to do some ruby developments

I hope you'll find it useful

First time I have to setup my mac again in a long time. I decided instead of upgrading to the next OSX version I will install the OS from fresh.

The installation went on without incidents but there was a few hick ups:

1. Remote sharing doesn't work out of the box. You have to turn on sharing from System Preference

So now I have a fresh box, I have to do the following:

1. Install my favourite browser (Chrome and Firefox)
2. Install plugins
3. Install Sublime Text 2 editor
4. Install Xcode, and run the following commands:


Configuring the machines

1. Turn on hidden files:


defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

2. Turn on command line tools for Xcode:

sudo xcode-select --install
sudo xcodebuild -license 
-- To accept the xcode license

3. Sometimes I might do later:

install rvm

No comments:

Post a Comment