Sunday, April 6, 2014

Rundeck via Chef via Vagrant

This is more notes for myself more than anything else. If you find it useful or other ways to do it you are welcome to leave comments.


20 Apr - I've done some extensive changes to this piece. This should work now.

The background

So the other day we were trying to configure all these rundeck ACL stuff, and trying to really get it to work. So when I got home I thought lets run a Rundeck lab on a VM to try out what we can and can't do.
Whilst downloading the latest ubuntu, to spin off a VM image I got thinking, why am I still doing this the old fashion way?
Old fashion way ...


  1. Download OS image
  2. Run it on a VM
  3. Download Rundeck, Tomcat, Java, etc..
  4. Install it, and try to get it to work.

The NEW way - Vagrant up!

1. Dependancy Vagrant and VirtualBox is installed
2. Get the latest chef-rundeck from github


https://github.com/priestjim/chef-rundeck

3. Download dependancies:

vagrant plugin install vagrant-berkshelf --plugin-version 2.0.0.rc3

** note I had a problem installing 2.0.0 with the dependancy issue with celluloid-io, so we rollback to 2.0.0.rc3. Check https://github.com/berkshelf/vagrant-berkshelf/issues/177 to make sure the issue is resolved.


vagrant plugin install vagrant-vbguest

4. vagrant up! - To download the image. If you are like me and don't have NBN (Australia's National Broadband Network) then it might take a while.


5. I had to setup the local machine to have to setup 172.16.6.2 rundeck on /etc/hosts

6. Web browser points to http://rundeck:4440/

DONE


Reference: 
Download latest VM box. Pick one here:
https://vagrantcloud.com/discover/featured

No comments:

Post a Comment